Monday, July 07, 2008

Murphy's Law of Announcements

Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will.

Young's Corollary for Publicly Promoted Announcements: If a definite time for an announcement or a release is made, events will conspire to make it ludicrous or plainly impossible to try to meet the deadline.

Yes, I am here. I am not dead. I am not even dead tired. But there will be no announcement tonight. I registered the domain, I picked the images for the splash screen. I even opened Photoshop and began the layout. That's when my iffy-but-working AC power supply for my laptop decided to fail, apparently irreparably.

30 minutes of fiddling later--still not working. No problem! Web work is by definition portable--I'll just move over to one of the other computers. (BTW, you don't begin to appreciate something like Adobe Photoshop until you have had it and suddenly don't.) So I fired up the trusty-and-free GIMP to finish the job and suddenly it crashes. With an unexplainable error. I download and reinstall GTK+ and GIMP 2.4.6. Twice. With no better results.

Rather than attempting to do it with Microsoft Paint, I decided to have another go at fixing the laptop. 45 minutes, three rubber bands, a piece of aluminum foil and a Norton Anthology of American Literature later, the power blinks on!

Joyfully I power up the laptop, open PS, and am importing my images when it decides to quit. Going back once more to GIMP, I reinstall it again, witness it crash AGAIN, and seized by some kind of desperation, begin disabling any .dll in my system32 folder that comes up with an error message. Finally, at 11:58, I belatedly conclude that apparently I am not to get this announcement out before midnight.

That is the comfort of being a Calvinist--the Lord must have a purpose of some sort behind this--who knows, possibly forcing me to get some sleep so I can get up and get to work in the morning. So I shall. The announcement will come tomorrow or the next day when the Lord enables me to get my electronic world put back together. Apparently it is also time to buy a new AC adapter...

Until then, a teaser...
What occurred on July 6th, 1938 that would have repercussions for the next 70 years? Hint: it's been in the international news a lot lately.

In His Service,
John Calvin Young

1 comment:

The Faggions said...

Ouch. I know exactly what you're talking about...and it's no fun... >.< Can't wait for the announcement...