Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Adobe OnLocation CS3

I recently had the opportunity to help shoot Hoplophobia, a short film that we shot DURING the San Antonio Independent Christian Film Festival--yes, screenings all day and shooting all night! More on that later...

Anyrate, I was handling some of the audio/computer stuff, and so I downloaded a thirty-day trial of Adobe's new product, OnLocation CS3. I want to get CS3 so bad! (Actually, OnLocation is bundled with Premiere Pro now, as is Encore DVD, so I don't HAVE to buy Adobe's CS3 Production Pack to get it...) On that set we had some filmmakers who really KNEW lighting--such as Josh Moore out of California. He and Jesse, our DP, used my laptop with Adobe's wonderful scopes (vector and waveform) and DV monitor all night long both nights to help adjust the camera and preview footage. Wonderful stuff--can't wait until I can get it for real.

I'll post a quick screenshot when I can find one from the set--I'm about run out on the trial. I might be able to find some video of it in action from the set on my camera to post on YouTube. For those that can't buy Adobe yet (like me) there is an alternative in some things--Blender has scopes in its Video Sequence Editor pane, although they don't work on live streams. For live previewing, VirtualDub works for a 1394 DV monitor when put into capture mode. No zebras though--pity--I really got used to using them in OL and will miss them on my next project, as my camera doesn't have zebras...

Ah well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the Lord does--it isn't out of the realm of possibility that I could have the Adobe pack come January!

In His Service,
John Calvin Young

No comments: