Wednesday, November 14, 2007

"And rise up from the waters anew..."

I have been listening to some new music recently--prerelease music from EliEli's new CD He Went That Way. The band is composed of three brothers from Saskatchewan--Stephen, Nathan, and Aaron Nasby. They have put together some beautiful new music in traditional, yet new styles--glorious instrumental Celtic-tinged music interwoven with solid, God-honoring lyrics and the brothers' complex vocal harmonies. My favorite song from the album is "I Am Called"--

I hear, I hear a voice out of heaven
I see the heaven’s open up
I see, I see the dove is descending
A sign from God in whom He is well pleased

Chorus
And I am called to take another simple step of obedience
An open witness of my faith for you
So I will sink underneath the waters to crucify the old man
And rise up from the waters anew

If by faith I have accepted
All my life I yield to you
If by example you say follow
Then by water I will prove

Chorus
That I am called to take another simple step of obedience
An open witness of my faith for you
So I will sink underneath the waters to crucify the old man
And rise up from the waters anew

Repeat Chorus

Awesome baptismal hymn--Stephen said they sang it at his baptism. Unfortunately you won't be able to get it on CD for some time yet, but you can see why I can't wait to get the full CD if you listen to this sample from "I Am Called" here.

They have more samples and lyrics on their website--check it out!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey John! Nathan Nasby here. Stephen told me about your blog and the nice post you made about "I Am Called". There is no greater compliment as a Chritian artist than to have your music be complimented in the way that it was intended to speak to others. We pray continually that the message of Christ and His teaching are the focal point that will reach out to touch, challenge, and inspire the listener. Thanks for your thoughts on the music and lyrics. God be praised as he is the one who inspires our music! We are excited as well and can't wait to finish the cd!!!